1281. a soft gaze

 

if you look too hard
you’ll see beyond the beauty
a soft gaze is best 🦊❤️

As I looked down from the bridge to enjoy the beautiful morning reflection of a tree in the shallow creek, I had the following experience.  The more intensely and closer I looked at the reflection, the more vivid the bottom of the shallow creek became, which interfered with me experiencing the beautiful tree reflection. Later that day we went to see a documentary film on Gustav Klimt’s iconic image, “The Kiss” (One of my favorites).  Many of the art professionals in the film analyzed the painting not only in terms of how it was painted but also very heavily focused on Klimt’s personality, his preoccupations, his alleged “failings” as a man as revealed in the work. While it was all interesting (I guess), it was another example of looking into the shallow creek and staring past the beautiful reflection of the tree. My conclusion, a “soft gaze” is often the best way to experience beauty as well as to observe and experience that which is not “beautiful”. 🦊❤️